Search Penny Hill Press

Friday, February 5, 2010

Department of Defense “Section 1207”Security and Stabilization Assistance: Background and Congressional Concerns

Nina M. Serafino
Specialist in International Security Affairs

Section 1207 of the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) for Fiscal Year 2006 (P.L. 109- 163) provides authority for the Department of Defense (DOD) to transfer to the State Department up to $100 million per fiscal year in defense articles, services, training or other support for reconstruction, stabilization, and security activities in foreign countries. DOD transferred $10 million in FY2006, $99.7 million in FY2007, and $100 million in FY2008 under this authority. For FY2009, Congress added special authority to transfer up to an additional $50 million for Georgia: DOD transferred a total of $143.3 million to the State Department in FY2009 Section 1207 funds. In all, these funds have supported projects in 18 countries and two regions. 

In action on the FY2010 NDAA (P.L. 111-84), Congress extended the $100 million authority through FY2010. Congressional authorizers and appropriators strongly expressed in several documents that Section 1207 authority is temporary, and indicated that such funding is better provided under the State Department budget. 

In the event the Obama Administration decides to request Section 1207 funding for FY2011, the second session of the 111th Congress may wish to consider extending this authority for another year, taking into account various issues regarding the use of DOD funds for State Department activities. Principal among them is and whether funding intended for use by the State Department is better funded under the State Department budget. Another is whether projects funded under Section 1207 authority are being used for the purposes intended by Congress. 

This report will be updated as events warrant.

Date of Report: January 28, 2010
Number of Pages: 13
Order Number: RS22871
Price: $29.95

Document available electronically as a pdf file or in paper form.
To order, e-mail or call us at 301-253-0881.